"Potters" Field Feuds: Friend or Foe?

Here, you will be given different topics on the New Age to discuss. These topics will include common concerns that Catholics and all Christians of Good Will have regarding New Age symbols, language, and activities. The hope of this forum is to promote better discernment regarding New Age influences in our culture today.

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT, Denise, Marguerite F

Marguerite F
Ghost Buster

"Potters" Field Feuds: Friend or Foe?

Post by Marguerite F » Sun May 15, 2005 3:27 pm

“Potters” Field Feuds: Friend or Foe?

Pardon the linguistic dramatics. Just as it is interesting to note, in the era of the “pill poppers”, that the word pharmacy has the same root as the word for magic charms, potions and poisons (Merriam-Webster 10th edition), it is by design that Harry Potter’s last name denotes a graveyard for the public “poor”. There is just not enough room in one post to put all that needs to be said about the Harry Potter Phenomenon. I am going to rely on some questions from readers to assist us in fully disclosing this New Age Forum topic.

What I would like to do right now is briefly challenge two of the recurring comments and misconceptions about the Harry Potter Books.

#1) “My children read more, they love the books so it must be a good thing, it’s getting kids to read more!”

A-Jesus said, “What father would give his son a rock (elsewhere snake) when he asked for bread”. That is GOD’S wisdom on the subject. Why would I give a child a bad book when I can and should give him a good one? As a parent, I will be the first to say that it is NEVER easy to hold the world at bay to protect our kid’s immortal souls. However, reading is one media where the job is very easy. There are libraries full of well written, morally and spiritually safe books. If Potter were the only choice or even the best written choice or EVEN the most exciting choice…I might have a different view point. These books are controversial at best and demonic at worst. Why give them to a young child under the umbrella of education or entertainment? Rocks for the brain and snakes for the spirit, the kids need bread for the immortal soul. They will read other material if it is offered. I know too many children who are excellent and avid readers who have never seen the cover of a Potter book.

#2) “There is no difference between Potter books and other fairy tales or “Lord of the Rings”.”

A-I have to chuckle each time I hear this comment because the person obviously hasn’t read either the Potter books, Lord of the Rings OR any classic fairy tales. It is like this. WITCHCRAFT is a religion. Just like you have lukewarm Catholics, Cafeteria Catholic, Orthodox Catholics, Latin Rite Catholics, Liberals, Conservatives and somewhere in there just plain Roman Catholics, you also have DEGREES OF WITCHCRAFT. It is a religion and a belief in a power that can be “obtained” by humans through the intercession of another supernatural being or by their “own gnosis”. The being that is intercessory IS NEVER GOD. So the “for Harry” group has got to concede at least that Harry is about witchcraft- period. Lord of the Rings is about the struggle between good and evil and the demonstration that when human beings obtain supernatural “power” (the ring) it leads to destruction. There are very strong and visible lines of demarcation here there is no clouding of the “powers” issue. In Potters world humans have witchcraft powers as a natural course of existence. In LOTR humans lust after power and only the innocent, self sacrifice of Frodo and Sam can overcome it. Let’s take Gandalf for example. He is a wizard AND his powers are limited. He must confront “his cross” by fighting and defeating the devilish Belrog, die, and come back to life. Now where have we heard that before? Um…Oh, so Tolkien portrays his characters in a very Christian way. Potter does not do this at all. Spells, incantations, magic and all of the other Gnostic arts are used by Harry and the “good guys” to solve problems and THAT is what the children reading Potter books come away with! Why even libraries and schools hold sessions on how to “cast a spell” and it is all being done in the name of education (by whose agenda, I have to wonder).
Now let’s take a look at what the chief exorcist in Rome, Fr. Gabriele Amorth, has to say about “spells” from his book, An Exorcist Tells His Story, pg 132 #4.
Spell: also called malfice or hex) This is by far the most commonly used means to achieve evil. The name (in Latin male factus) means to DO EVIL… (pg 130 #2) Curses: curses invoke evil and the origin of all evil is demonic… (Emphasis added)
So I ask why we are giving our kids snakes when they need good solid literary food.
In classical fairy tales witches, warlocks, trolls et al, are depicted as bad or evil. There is a hero or heroine who is clearly different in virtue from the evil one. In the Potter books there is a very slim morality, “nice witches, white witches” (no such things only degrees of the same religion, remember), the lines between good and evil are blurred due to the fact that each “good” or “evil” character is using varying degrees of the same supernatural power to solve their problem. They never have to excel or demonstrate a certain real virtue to win a battle or solve a problem. They use more power, better power, and bigger power….kind of like American politics really.

I will cap this off and await any responses. In my humble opinion, Harry Potter isn’t the best choice for children’s literature. There are so many excellent authors on the shelves that can really feed a child’s heart, mind and soul; so many books that are BETTER written than Ms. Rowling’s books; there is real literature that is exciting and healthy if a parent will just offer it to their child. I have three avid readers in my family and they have never read or missed the “public graveyard” of literature inherent in
Harry POTTER.

Blessings to all of you. Thank you for this opportunity to serve. St. Michael, Pray for Us.

Marguerite

MarcJR

Post by MarcJR » Tue May 24, 2005 2:14 pm

I agree that Harry goes to the Potty should be avoided, and Maguerite, thou makest good arguments, in addition to what else has been said about the books.

Freedom to read does not mean a license to read.

And thankfully, freedom of expression means I can throw such trash onto a blazing fire, and watch it be consumed in its literary iniquity.

"Just because you can prevent forest fires, it does not follow that you should." - Ursus the Bear :roll: :wink: :P
Restore all things in Christ...or else!!!

Marguerite F
Ghost Buster

Post by Marguerite F » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:58 pm

Thanks for the funny response Marc! I enjoyed " Harry goes to the Potty". Never thought of that one. :lol:

The movies are just a bad eventhough, unfortunately, from an artisit viewpoint, they are "good movies"...well done. The subject matter, however, should be enough for parents to say, not just no, Heck No!

St. Michael,Defend Us in this day of battle!

Thanks again,
Marguerite

MarcJR

Post by MarcJR » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:15 pm

Hehehe. I did comeup with lot of parallel titles to the various Potty books, but some of them are not suitable for such a list. I can be a bad big little bear I confess sometimes. But some stuff really ruffles my fur, and the ole tongue gets mighty acerbic! :P :lol:

There are better things to watch, from a fantasy perspective. I rather like The Dark Crystal. I hear a sequel will be made.

and I actually enjoy the BBC Wonderworks production of the Narnia Chronicles. :P
Restore all things in Christ...or else!!!