NAM Music vs Gregorian Chant

Here, you will be given different topics on the New Age to discuss. These topics will include common concerns that Catholics and all Christians of Good Will have regarding New Age symbols, language, and activities. The hope of this forum is to promote better discernment regarding New Age influences in our culture today.

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT, Denise, Marguerite F

Marguerite F
Ghost Buster

NAM Music vs Gregorian Chant

Post by Marguerite F » Sun May 15, 2005 3:37 pm

WHAT? Some may inquire? What could NAM music (Yani, Evanescense etc) possibly have to do with Gregorian Chant???
That is what I'd like to briefly explore in this post.

First let's look at the Chant. If we pick it apart we find repeating tones that harmonize and the language, Latin, is separated into syllables according to the notes. Originally Gregorian Chant (named for pope St. Gregory) was unaccompanied however during present times it is ususally accompanied by harp or organ, very few tympani or base used, sometimes I've heard an occasional woodwind thrown in but this too is rare. The majority of the music is written for organ or harp.

Gregorian Chant is monophonic or single sound. That is one of its primary recognizable characteristics. This monophonic repetition of sound has a tranquilizing effect on the human brain. After listening to this music the human brain begins to "cycle down" to a brainwave called (oddly enough) Alpha. This is a slow brainwave activity then we normally use throughout the day. Most of the time we function in a Beta brainwave formation. Alpha is a calmer, serene almost sleepy brain activity and that is why this type of music is so powerful for prayer.

Gregorian Chant has an ethereal quality about it. Even if played in a noisy setting (like a crazy homeschool household) it has tranquilizing effects. This is purposeful. Chant lends itself to recollection and internalization; it is a perfect enhancement to prayer. Pope, St. Pius X loved the Gregorian chant and propagated its use during his pontificate. Since he is still incorrupt, it is safe to assume that our Dear Lord likes this type of music.

Now for a look at Yank, Evanescence, Tintinnabulation and other New Age music. First this music is usually played on a synthesizer using organ and string instruments. NAM music is often accompanied with background sounds of ocean or waterfalls. NAM music is monophonic; it has the SAME tranquilizing effect as Chant. In fact, Alpha brain waves and all...NAM music and Gregorian Chant are EXACTLY ALIKE in their effects on the human mind and brain.

But how about the human SOUL? First, let’s discuss our brains in the state of 'Alpha'. This is the exact state used by a psychologist to hypnotize a person and core dump suggestions. Alpha is also the state the brain is in during television watch which accounts for the ability of a person to generate more memory of television commercials then of past homilies!

So what does all of this mean? It has to do more with what is being said then the music. The music of NAM and Chant are almost identical in form and function. It is in the wording that the real problem lies. Chant gives glory to God, Chant begs pardon of God, Chant places God on the Throne and humans at His feet. Chant elevates our soul to beg union with the Almighty Creator of the Universe, in our smallness we are swept up in a torrent of blissful sound and we can only imagine that Heaven would sound this way. Chant takes us OUT of ourselves and aspires to Union with the Divine.

The New Ager has a very, very different experience. The words of the new age song will go something like this, " As I float on this aybss of perfection, I know I am in control of my own direction, I know I am That I am, That I am. The Divinity within me is me. I am my own Iam, That Iam, That Iam."
The New Age, seeking a state of Nirvana is sucked into the BIG LIE that Satan used in the Garden of Eden, " Ye are Gods".

I have had Catholics tell me that I am crazy. While that is true, it is beside the point. Catholics NEED to be aware of the fact that the human brain, in a state of hypnotic alpha brainwave (which also has a chemical component of endorphin stimulation) IS VERY VULNERABLE to suggestion!! Marketing firms COUNT on this fact to make us buy things; Satan has successfully USED this fact to get kids on drugs, out of churches and into sexual situations. And God WANTS to use this fact to elevate mankind to Himself with one of the most powerful "selling tool" He designed, Gregorian chant.

Christians all over the globe are being sucked into the idea that the New Age music is not harmful because it is SOOO similar to Gregorian chant..."It makes me FEEEEEL SOOO GOOD", it can't be bad.

We must remember that Satan apes God every chance his smallness can. Music is no exception. So burn those Evanescse CD's she is NOT a Christian artist. Yani is NOT just a soothing music you must pay attention to the words. Satan has been very successful in marketing chaos through lovely sound...again I say, It's not the scary green eyed ugly monsters that we have to look out for....it is the wolves in Sheeps clothing.

MarcJR

Post by MarcJR » Tue May 24, 2005 2:34 pm

One: you are not crazy Marguerite. (Such a loverly name, and biblical too if you read Latin.)

Two: outside of traditional liturgical music of the east and west, there is what we call under one umbrella, classical music. Modern music is either awful, or downright malevolently evil.

New Age music is exactly that which seeks to mellow out the mind and body, and open oneself to God knows what, and chances are it is not God. It is the other spirit who has corrupted the beautiful melody of Heaven.

Chant in and of itself is PRAYER. That is what distinguishes it from all other forms of music. It is the perfect union of the transcendental and the physical, inasmuch as the physical aspects of the body (alpha waves and all) are being used for what God has made us for.

Satan would then use the same way to get into your brain, and leave another message.

I actually find New Age/Old trick of Satan mu-sick to be annoying, obnoxious, and generally irritating. Trying to listen to Yanni is like fingers on a chalkboard to me. And there is the popularity of Enya, which although not completely new agey, she is a lot more of that than the Celtic dimension she tries to rythymatically breathe out. Very soppy and bland music on the whole.

If you have to listen to some melodic stuff outside of chant, give some good ole Southern gospel a try. Not the obvious heavily Protestant/Baptist stuff (like Amazing Grace) but some of the less innocuous stuff.

Then go crank up some Bach and Beethoven's sacred works. :wink:
Restore all things in Christ...or else!!!