Applause during the Liturgy

For the liturgy, "through which the work of our redemption is accomplished," (1) most of all in the divine sacrifice of the Eucharist, is the outstanding means whereby the faithful may express in their lives, and manifest to others, the mystery of Christ and the real nature of the true Church.

SACROSANCTUM CONCILIUM

Moderators: johnmc, Johnna, MarieT, Denise

Denise
Site Admin

Applause during the Liturgy

Post by Denise » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:04 am

An important liturgical message from Cardinal Ratzinger - now Pope Benedict XVI

"Wherever applause breaks out in the liturgy because of some human achievement, it is a sure sign that the essence of liturgy has totally disappeared and been replaced by a kind of religious entertainment. " (Spirit of the Liturgy p. 198)

http://www.liturgysociety.org/JOURNAL/V ... ger_Gy.pdf
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

KarlB
Saint Finder

Post by KarlB » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:20 pm

In my local parish i've seen it happen on several occasions. In one case on 'Canada Day', the parish broke out in the national anthem, and applause. I've nothing against the anthem, but come on, there's a time and place. The day corresponds to the Feast of the Most Pecious Blood (Jul. 1), a First Class Solemnity in the traditional Church, which wasn't even mentioned, in the nationalistic flavour of the homily and mood of the place, which was festive, and completely out of the context of the Mass.

The Mass at St. Mary's has actually improved somewhat since i've been there. The priest has stopped allowing the parshioners from calling out prayer requests at the end of the homily, a spectacle where people vied with each other to get their intentions out, usually family things (instead of a simple request to pray for personal intentions in private), but sometimes for causes or organizations which nobody was sure what they were praying for, and just added to cacophony of the 'sign of peace', and (imho) disorderly distribution of the Host.

It still has a long way to go to attain the integrity and reverence, least in spirit, to 1962 Missal celebrated at Holy Family in Vancouver.
pax lux,
karl

Remember that thou hast made me of clay; and wilt thou turn me to dust again? Job10:9

Johnna

Post by Johnna » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:33 pm

applause almost never ever happened at my old parish before we moved. Since we've moved to Indy, I've notice it happen at our parish more frequently. It makes me sad. I just pray.
Domine Non Sum Dignus!

Holiness is not for wimps and the cross is not negotiable, sweetheart, it's a requirement.
~ Mother Angelica