A bishop with more authority than the pope?

For the liturgy, "through which the work of our redemption is accomplished," (1) most of all in the divine sacrifice of the Eucharist, is the outstanding means whereby the faithful may express in their lives, and manifest to others, the mystery of Christ and the real nature of the true Church.

SACROSANCTUM CONCILIUM

Moderators: johnmc, Johnna, MarieT, Denise

Denise
Site Admin

A bishop with more authority than the pope?

Post by Denise » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:17 pm

This bishop kind of has it a bit wrong.

Denise
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

KarlB
Saint Finder

Post by KarlB » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:53 pm

I really have a great deal of difficulty understanding why the opposition to the TLM runs so deeply in the Episcopate. The rote, remote, vapid, rather boring ceremony the Novus Ordo has developed into really has lost much of the symbolism and meaning associated with the Mass, certainly its drama and intrigue, leading to all kind of innovations that distract and confuse from its message. I've mentioned before its main influence seems to be the Protestant service, which has a completely different intent, associated with community rather than communion.

I hope these people appeal the decision to Benedict, who seems quite willing to pull rank on these insubordinate elements, who use jaded logic associated with 'unity' as reason, while their churches empty. And if that doesn't work.. well.. Bp. Rivest can be replaced.. and should be with any other provincial potentates who feel obedience to Rome is elective for such glorious personages as themselves. :roll:
pax lux,
karl

Remember that thou hast made me of clay; and wilt thou turn me to dust again? Job10:9

MarieT
Site Admin

Post by MarieT » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:20 pm

who can tell, karl?

the way i see it regarding 'opposition to the extraordinary Mass'.....basically only some priests are able to celebrate it. Certainly the majority of priests today havent had the background or experience to suddenly hold the Mass and they worry about delivering the sacred extraordinary form of the Mass properly.

thats one of the reasons i can think of because certainly the extraordinary form of the Mass is sooo amazing that even a non believer there would kneel in awe.

its great that now seminarys MUST teach more latin and expose its seminarians to the extraordinary form of the Mass.

Also i recall that when the Pope's Motu proprio came in - several schools were opened to allow priest training to celebrate the extraordinary form.

i wish we could have it in our parish but our priest says he isnt competant in celebrating an extraordinary form of the Mass and we should visit another parish for it.

blessings
marie
"He who followeth Me, walketh not in darkness." sayeth the Lord

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:51 pm

our parish but our priest says he isnt competent
Well, he could sure become competent if he really wanted to. I think some are just not wanting to either out of laziness or they don't see the fruits that come from the TLM. OR, they are afraid they will lose the modernized folks and the collection will go south. If they only knew....if they only knew!
:?
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales