singing Happy Birthday to priest at end of Mass

For the liturgy, "through which the work of our redemption is accomplished," (1) most of all in the divine sacrifice of the Eucharist, is the outstanding means whereby the faithful may express in their lives, and manifest to others, the mystery of Christ and the real nature of the true Church.

SACROSANCTUM CONCILIUM

Moderators: johnmc, Johnna, MarieT, Denise

singing Happy Birthday to priest at end of Mass

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:55 am

at the end of Mass yesterday, before the final blessing, the sacristan went up on the altar and announced that it was the priest's birthday and that the whole church should sing happy birthday to him. He combined this with a totally made up story about how the priest was born on 2/13 but his mother thought he was ugly and didn't claim him until 3/13, blah blah blah. And then he said he was just kidding and we should all sing - and most people did.

I thought it was completely inappropriate to do this during Mass and on the altar and told him so after Mass and we had words. On the one hand I feel bad for having words with him. On the other hand, yesterday's gospel was about respect for sacred places and Jesus Himself became pretty angry. Also, St. Catherine of Siena said faithful men do not keep quiet when it is time to speak up.

Thoughts?

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:18 am

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where is that in the General Instruction? Where is that in the Rubrics? Has nothing to do with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is something that should be saved for after Mass and outside.

Here are folks with the living Christ still present in them and attention to the adoration we owe to Christ is stolen away by this foolishness.

I had to suffer through a Mass yesterday that really could use some help. The pastor is a great guy and very orthodox in his teachings but not very orthodox in the way he follows the Rubrics etc. :roll:
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

Johnna

Post by Johnna » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:01 pm

It seems to me that most priests I meet these days fall into the category that Denise mentioned. This or that seemingly "little" thing in the rubrics is not followed, but they otherwise seem good men and orthodox in their teachings. It makes me sad.
Domine Non Sum Dignus!

Holiness is not for wimps and the cross is not negotiable, sweetheart, it's a requirement.
~ Mother Angelica

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:44 am

glad to hear I am not alone on this.

I suspect, though, that 90% to 95% of Catholics that go to Mass each week would see nothing wrong with this.

Boy, do we have an uphill battle!!!!!