Correspondence with Pastor about Liturgy - Names Removed

For the liturgy, "through which the work of our redemption is accomplished," (1) most of all in the divine sacrifice of the Eucharist, is the outstanding means whereby the faithful may express in their lives, and manifest to others, the mystery of Christ and the real nature of the true Church.

SACROSANCTUM CONCILIUM

Moderators: johnmc, Johnna, MarieT, Denise

Correspondence with Pastor about Liturgy - Names Removed

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:06 am

Sometimes I feel I am the only one that cares about the Liturgy . . . I know this is not true, but it is frustrating . . . Please read from the bottom up.

--- On Tue, 4/14/09, Fr. yyyyyyy wrote:

> From: Fr. yyyyyy
> Subject: RE: Music in Liturgy
> To: "William
> Date: Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 10:25 AM
> I was not there for either of these.
> I had the afternoon on Good Friday
> and we read the Passion straight through. Sometimes
> something a little
> different helps people to pay more attention. In fact you
> are the first
> person to mention something about it to me. I know that
> Becky is very
> conscious of Liturgical guidelines and I don't think she
> would do
> anything that is not allowed.
>
> As far as singing Happy Birthday, it was my understanding
> that it was
> done when the Mass was over at the very end. Although it is
> not the most
> liturgical thing to do I don't think it detracted from the
> heart of the
> Mass. It was not done when the gifts were brought up etc.
>
> Thanks for expressing your concerns. I do like to get
> feedback.
> Sometimes I am the last to hear. As I said you are
> the only one who
> mentioned this to me. In fact I got some very positive
> comments about
> the singing during Holy Week.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: William
>
> Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:49 AM
> To: Fr. yyyyyy
> Subject: Music in Liturgy
>
>
> Hello Father
>
> I am concerned that the music at our parish has begun to
> become the focus
> of the liturgy rather than a part of the liturgy. I have
> two examples.
>
> First, in March, the pianist played "happy birthday" for
> Fr. xxxxx
> before the final blessing at the end of Mass.
>
> Second, on Good Friday, the reading of the passion of our
> Lord was
> interrupted every few minutes for musical verses ("were you
> there when
> they crucified my Lord?") I can't believe that anyone would
> try to add
> anything to the Word of God during Mass, particularly the
> Passion
> narrative.
>
> I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this matter.
> Thank you!
>
> Bill

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:33 am

Just goes to show you you are one in how many at that parish that understand the Liturgy. Of course this priest will make excuses and one being that the people "like" distraction. Sheesh! I would respond to him in a respectful manner and let him know that he has just admitted how dumbed down 99% of the parish is. :wink:
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

Johnna

Post by Johnna » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:13 am

Interesting argument, that the people "like" it. A father is supposed to give their children what they need first! Whether they like it or not is secondary. The pastor of a Church is a spiritual father. One would think his duties would be similar along those regards.
Domine Non Sum Dignus!

Holiness is not for wimps and the cross is not negotiable, sweetheart, it's a requirement.
~ Mother Angelica

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:27 pm

it makes me wonder if he thinks the Church was kidding or really didn't mean it when she put in the rubrics, "no one may change the liturgy on his own accord."

Where is the part that says "except if mixing things up will get people to pay attention better"??????

The first chapter of the Spirit of the Liturgy is brilliant in the way it explains that we are to worship God in the way He spells it out for us - not necessarily in the way we want to worship Him. And how does God do that today? - through His Church, of course!

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:17 pm

Bill, I think you should copy and paste your last post and send it to the priest. It is all true and if he cannot accept the truth in this matter then what makes one think he accepts any truth in liturgical matters or moral matters, or .........any matter for that matter.

God knows you are trying and that is all you can do. Give the facts and let God work on the ones that want to water stuff down.

When I first started evangelizing on the internet I used to get frustrated to the point that I would actually cry because others wouldn't listen. When I would see the things people said and replied to them, my heart would race just thinking about the kind of garbage they were going to respond with.

In the last 11 years I have learned to give the facts and be done with it basically. I can't afford to make myself sick anymore over stubborn folks, who one day will know all the truth there is to know.

Blessings
Denise
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:12 am

your're right Denise - we're just planting seeds

KarlB
Saint Finder

Post by KarlB » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:45 pm

> As far as singing Happy Birthday, it was my understanding
> that it was
> done when the Mass was over at the very end. Although it is
> not the most
> liturgical thing to do I don't think it detracted from the
> heart of the
> Mass.
What an overwhelmingly trite and casual approach to the Mass... as if its some tea party where there is a suggested etiquette rather an ordained order of things. :x

This attitude is widespread, but you can detect countervailing forces in the Church. The Latin Parish in Vancouver held a Tenebrae meditation, with Gregorian Chants and Latin Psalms, this Easter over three days (Holy Thurs. - Sat.). Something that has been largely lost over the last 4 decades but is intended to deepen the gravity and mystery of Easter, instead of trivializing it.

Essentially the remedy for this lies in the Church's traditions.. not in treating the Mass like a social festivity.
pax lux,
karl

Remember that thou hast made me of clay; and wilt thou turn me to dust again? Job10:9