Cardinal Schönborn’s visit to Medjugorje 'not a statement'

Heresy experiments in distortion; orthodoxy developes in proportion. The false emphasis is not only a wrong in itself but it is used as a means of diverting the eyes of men in the wrong direction. Van Zeller

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT

ToniP

Post by ToniP » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:15 am

It's painful that the bishop has to issue such statements. Is there any reason he can't appeal to Rome in this matter - presuming he hasn't?

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:32 am

When the bishop made his Ad limina visit to the pope, from the transcript we see where the Holy Father stands behind he and his brother bishops concerning the matter. Also, the pope mentioned that he couldn't believe this was still going on and that people actually believed it. The account of the visit is posted HERE

Like a good and holy priest once said to me, "When the head of this beast comes off it will come off all at once."
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

maryg

Post by maryg » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:36 pm

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:57 pm

tsk tsk, and I am not at all surprised. What an abomination. Has the cardinal blown a fuse?
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

maryg

Post by maryg » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:04 pm

I'm wondering if this scandal could actually accelerate any decision coming from Rome?

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:26 pm

Well, I am thinking that it could. This has gone too far.

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:31 pm

I was just reading all the replies at Fr. Z's blog concerning this pathetic video. Some were intimating that he has basically lost it.

My thoughts....if he is involved with Medjugorje then he could have gotten more there than he bargained for, if you know what I mean.

maryg

Post by maryg » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:11 am

I do know what you mean. Father Z posted on his blog January 4 how we should never stop praying for priests. Here is a quote,

"The devil HATES priests with a malice that humans cannot fathom. With diabolical angelic abilities they do what they can to drag priests – upon whom so much rests – down and then farthest down of all."

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:25 pm

Poor Cardinal, and with all due respect to the "office" of cardinal...I have no respect for men who hold the "office" and are totally over the edge. Rspect for the "office" and respect for the human are two different things. Just like having respect for the office of priest...I certainly have NO respect for the priest that molested my little brother but I do have respect for the office.

He speaks of charitable works? WHAT ARE THEY OTHER THAN PUTTING MONEY IN A PROPAGATOR'S POCKET! Or putting on so-called conferences and selling whatever they can get their hands on.

He also mentions something supernatural there. YEP! Supernatural doesn't only refer to Our Lady, saints, and angels. There is another team that is supernatural and where they come from an ice cream cone won't keep.

St. Alphonsus Liguori said when people start to sin they lose their memory.

Cardinal Schönborn compares Medjugorje to Lourdes, calls it 'a school of normal Christian life' January 12, 2010

Recalling that his interest in Medjugorje dates back to the 1980s, when Viennese Dominicans were associated with a Medjugorje prayer circle, Cardinal Christoph Schönborn has told an Austrian Catholic newspaper that “without anticipating a definitive Church judgment, I state that the phenomena witnessed in Medjugorje since 1981 have a strong similarity to other Marian apparitions.”

Noting that “all unusual messages are from the beginning suspicious,” the Austrian cardinal said he was impressed that the principal message of the alleged apparitions there is one of peace.

Cardinal Schönborn did not comment on the negative judgments of the local bishop and his predecessor towards Medjugorje. Instead, he said that the 1991 statement of the Yugoslav bishops, “which was at least twice confirmed by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith,” is an “ideal guideline”: “it is not certain that the phenomena are supernatural.” This statement, he noted, allows for the possibility that the phenomena are supernatural.

The cardinal said that the alleged messages of Medjugorje are not as important as the prayer that takes place there, including Eucharistic adoration, the Way of the Cross, Confession, and the daily praying of the entire Psalter. “In order to doubt that into Medjugorje a stream of grace flows, one must shut one’s eyes,” he added, comparing Medjugorje to Lourdes as a place where hearts are transformed.

Also comparing the Church’s caution towards the alleged apparitions to the Church’s caution towards St. Faustina, the cardinal stated that the “personal reliability” of the witnesses, the sensus fidelium, and the charitable works associated with Medjugorje are “surely an important element.”

“What does one learn from the Mother of God? The faith in everyday life! For me Medjugorje is a school of normal Christian life.”.