Wikipedia

Heresy experiments in distortion; orthodoxy developes in proportion. The false emphasis is not only a wrong in itself but it is used as a means of diverting the eyes of men in the wrong direction. Van Zeller

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT

Google [Bot]

Wikipedia

Post by Google [Bot] » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:05 am

Lucia Santos

On November 15, 1966 [[Pope Paul VI]] revised the [

Code: Select all

], striking down canons 1399 and 2318, which among other things had prohibited and penalized the publication of any material concerning any apparitions (approved or not) without beforehand obtaining a bishop’s imprimatur. After the revision, therefore, anyone in the Church was permitted to publish freely on Marian apparitions, including those at Fátima. Yet Sister Lúcia was still forbidden to reveal the Fátima Secret. She remained under an order of silence until her death in February 2005, unable to speak freely about Fátima without special permission from the Vatican.<ref name="fatima.org"/>
[/quote]

This was on the Lucia Santos article until a month ago, when it was edited to say "[i]In the 1983 Code of Canon Law canons 823 to 824 state that Bishops have the duty and right to review any material concerning faith or morals before it may be published. Sister Lúcia was forbidden to reveal the Fátima Secret. She remained under an order of silence until her death in February 2005, unable to speak freely about Fátima without special permission from the Vatican.[/i]"

[quote]
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_by_religion#In_Christianity]Religious Censorship[/url]

The final (20th) edition appeared in 1948, and it was formally abolished on 14 June 1966 by [[Pope Paul VI]].<ref>[http://www.hps.cam.ac.uk/starry/galbooks.html Cambridge University on Index.]</ref><ref name=EB>[http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/285220/Index-Librorum-Prohibitorum Encyclopaedia Britannica: ''Index Librorum Prohibitorum'']</ref>
[/quote]

This was on the Religious Censorship article until a month ago, when it was added to, to say "[i]However, the moral obligation of the Index was not abolished, according to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. Furthermore, the 1983 Code of Canon Law states that bishops have the duty and right to review material concerning faith or morals before it may be published.[/i]"

Since than, these articles have been edited and unedited by unknown people for a few days now. (See "View History") But they always return to how they were. 

The misconception about Bishops not being able to censor material concerning faith or morals and the misconception about the abolishment of the Index can cause people to think that the Church cannot preserve and transmit the Word of God - in this case, judge material concerning doctrine or morals and condemn bad material. Hence, people might think they can publish condemned revelations, or read books that promote heresies, or do other sinful activities. But this is not the case, and so, the case needed to be put to rest.

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:28 pm

I think anyone can edit Wikipedia, and so it is wise to not use them as resources that pertain to the faith, among other things. :wink:
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

Google [Bot]

Post by Google [Bot] » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:26 am

Denise wrote:I think anyone can edit Wikipedia, and so it is wise to not use them as resources that pertain to the faith, among other things. :wink:
It is better to guard the well of common knowledge than it is to let the common people drink poison.

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:49 am

Yep! Amen to that!
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

KevinSymonds

Post by KevinSymonds » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:21 pm

You might be interested in reading my discussion of this very topic over on Catholic Lane:

http://catholiclane.com/reflections-on- ... part-four/

In Christ,
-Kevin

Google [Bot]

Post by Google [Bot] » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:59 pm

Thanks Kevin!