New "alleged stigmatist" awaits his Lenten torment

Heresy experiments in distortion; orthodoxy developes in proportion. The false emphasis is not only a wrong in itself but it is used as a means of diverting the eyes of men in the wrong direction. Van Zeller

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT

MarieT
Site Admin

Post by MarieT » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:13 pm

With 33 busloads of pilgrims and up to 10,000 people expected at a planned Sunday appearance by alleged stigmatic Br Elia, Naples Church authorities has cancelled the event citing fears over the Capuchin monks' growing fame and popularity.

The British Daily Telegraph reports that like Padre Pio, who displayed stigmata for the last 50 years of his life, Brother Elia, whose face, hands and feet appear covered in blood each Lent is revered by fans from the country's poorest to World Cup-winning footballer Francesco Totti.

Yesterday was supposed to be a chance for as many as 10,000 people, including visitors from Britain, to meet Brother Elia, 45, at the headquarters of the Jesuit movement in Naples. Now that Lent has begun, time is running out to see him before he takes to his bed over April to undergo his annual torment.

Instead, his appearance was cancelled at the last minute by the Catholic Church, which is growing increasingly fearful about the rapid spread of Brother Elia's fame.

"We had to turn away 33 coaches of people," said a spokesman for the Apostles of God, the religious movement established by Brother Elia in 2003. "The whole of the south of Italy wanted to see him, but an order came down from the regional church that the permission for the meeting had been withdrawn."

The Vatican is reported to have asked Brother Elia not to give interviews or to hold any public religious services until it has made up its mind on the veracity of his stigmata.

"For the last four years, the Vatican has sent doctors to his bedside over Easter to find out whether he really does show stigmata. Some of them said he did, others said he didn't so we still do not have a conclusion," said the spokesman.

Doctor Carlo Marcelletti, one of Italy's foremost heart surgeons who witnessed his suffering last year, said the phenomenon was "scientifically inexplicable".

Officially, the Vatican has refused to comment, but one source said the silence was "actually because we are not sceptical".

Fiorella Turolli, the author of a book on Brother Elia, said: "He suffers the Passion in exactly the same sequence as Christ. On Wednesday night he gets a crown of thorns pattern, and then he sheds tears of blood, and then signs of beating on his back. Finally on Friday he is a mask of blood and then the rebirth."

Brother Elia claims to have had his first vision of the Virgin Mary at age seven and claims he can talk to angels.

He used to work as a postman, a grocer, a flower-seller and a prison chef before he joined a Capuchin monastery in Calvi, Umbria.

His followers swear to his healing powers with Fiorentina football club manager, Cesare Prandelli, saying that Brother Elia healed his sick wife. "It only took one look to know he was an extraordinary man," he said.

http://www.cathnews.com/news/702/152.php
Last edited by MarieT on Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He who followeth Me, walketh not in darkness." sayeth the Lord

MarieT
Site Admin

Vatican turns away followers of the 'new Padre Pio'

Post by MarieT » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:14 pm

The Vatican turns away followers of the 'new Padre Pio'
By Malcolm Moore in Naples
Last Updated: 2:07am GMT 26/02/2007

To his thousands of followers in Italy and around the world he is the new Padre Pio.

Like the country's ever-popular 20th Century saint, who displayed stigmata for the last 50 years of his life, Brother Elia is revered. With his face, hands and feet appearing covered in blood each Easter, he has earned celebrity status and his fans range from the country's poorest to World Cup-winning footballer Francesco Totti.

The new Padre Pio? Brother Elia, who suffers stigmata every Easter, is revered by 1000's

Yesterday was supposed to be a chance for as many as 10,000 people, including visitors from Britain, to meet Brother Elia, 45, at the headquarters of the Jesuit movement in Naples. Now that Lent has begun, time is running out to see him before he takes to his bed over April to undergo his annual torment.

Instead, his appearance was cancelled at the last minute by the Catholic Church, which is growing increasingly fearful about the rapid spread of Brother Elia's fame.

"We had to turn away 33 coaches of people," said a spokesman for the Apostles of God, the religious movement established by Brother Elia in 2003. "The whole of the south of Italy wanted to see him, but an order came down from the regional church that the permission for the meeting had been withdrawn."

The Vatican is reported to have asked Brother Elia not to give interviews or to hold any public religious services until it has made up its mind on the veracity of his stigmata.

advertisement"For the last four years, the Vatican has sent doctors to his bedside over Easter to find out whether he really does show stigmata. Some of them said he did, others said he didn't so we still do not have a conclusion," said the spokesman.

Doctor Carlo Marcelletti, one of Italy's foremost heart surgeons who witnessed his suffering last year, said the phenomenon was "scientifically inexplicable".

Officially, the Vatican has refused to comment, but one source said the silence was "actually because we are not sceptical".

Fiorella Turolli, the author of a book on Brother Elia, said: "He suffers the Passion in exactly the same sequence as Christ. On Wednesday night he gets a crown of thorns pattern, and then he sheds tears of blood, and then signs of beating on his back. Finally on Friday he is a mask of blood and then the rebirth."

Brother Elia claims to have had his first vision of the Virgin Mary at age seven and claims he can talk to angels.

He used to work as a postman, a grocer, a flower-seller and a prison chef before he joined a Capuchin monastery in Calvi, Umbria.

His followers swear to his healing powers, and thousands queue outside his monastery from 3am every weekend. "The number of visitors keeps rising," said Silvano Lorenzoni, mayor of Calvi.

Cesare Prandelli, the manager of Fiorentina football club, says Brother Elia healed his sick wife. "It only took one look to know he was an extraordinary man," he said

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... taly26.xml

JeniR

Post by JeniR » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:01 pm

Very interesting.

KevinSymonds

Post by KevinSymonds » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:27 am

I don't know much about this guy. Perhaps Rick knows something?

-KJS

KevinSymonds

Post by KevinSymonds » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:35 am

http://www.fra-elia.com/accueil_eng.htm

Well, if this man had the backing of Hnilica, unfortunately that puts Br. Elia in a very bad spot for credibility.

More as it develops.

-KJS

KevinSymonds

Post by KevinSymonds » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:03 am

In travelling that web site I gave everyone above, I must say that I have noticed the amount of attention this man receives. Yes, I understand he's an alleged stigmatic, however, I'm questioning the humility of the place by plastering his name over everything.

I'm thinking in comparison to the monastery in Norcia, Italy. They need money (desperately more than this guy's group does IMHO) and yet you don't see plastered all over their web site how the Norcia monastery is good friends with Pope Benedict, how he's a benefactor, etc. It's a humility issue. Besides, I do enough of the boasting for them :)

Also, while not from Elia's mouth itself, his biographer states:
"Fiorella Turolli, the author of a book on Brother Elia, said: "He suffers the Passion in exactly the same sequence as Christ. On Wednesday night he gets a crown of thorns pattern, and then he sheds tears of blood, and then signs of beating on his back. Finally on Friday he is a mask of blood and then the rebirth."
The crown of thorns would have happened on Friday, not Wednesday.

-KJS

KevinSymonds

Post by KevinSymonds » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:17 pm

I spoke with Rick about this guy. He said that this br. Elia guy believes in UFO's. 'nuff for me.

-KJS

MarieT
Site Admin

Post by MarieT » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:45 am

rehashing this topic as someone left documents promoting br. elia in the back of the church.

kev wot else did rick say about him besides ufo's? i'm guessing if he was instructed by the Vatican not to promote this and its ongoing, could one suspect a case of 'disobediance'? ....or duz the fact that many turn up at the door "from 3 am in the morning' mean its not his fault the 'flocks' keep coming.

need more info before i mention this to our priest because i'll have to have reliable sources before its acted upon.

blessings
marie

KevinSymonds

Post by KevinSymonds » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:11 am

I haven't gone back to do any double checking on this guy since February. To be honest, I don't know if I'll have time to go and do anything now but let me see what I can do.

-KJS

MarieT
Site Admin

Post by MarieT » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:25 am

its ok kev...i can email rick...didnt want to 'double up' just in case he already gave you the info. I'll just let our parish secretary know that the vatican has told this organisation not to 'advertise' till its looked into it more thoroughly.

God bless
marie

MarieT
Site Admin

Post by MarieT » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:48 pm

well today just b4 morning mass i noticed that there were more flyers....so i grabbed them and marched to fr. and mentioned that it wasnt approved and still under investigation.....lol....he said "ok" and laughed.

i left them in the sacristy for "him" to dispose of...then i noticed after mass that the woman who probably put them there (her name was on flyer to contact her) was looking around lol....

being in the hurry i was, i couldnt stick around and give her a full explanation but i'm sure fr. will for me :)

marie

MarieT
Site Admin

Post by MarieT » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:30 pm

it seems we're not the only parish experiencing these flyers. Other parishes have unfortunately had them distributed also (and removed).

marie :?

MarieT
Site Admin

Post by MarieT » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:50 pm

question: how can this man's bishop permit him to travel and promote things when Rome itself has told him not to.

When can a Bishop override a directive from Rome?

more flyers advertising this man's visit in melbourne and perth appearing in most of our parishes.

Here is an extract from the flyer:
"He is under observation by the Church and his Bishop has given him approval to go and speak wherever he is invited."
in contrast to:
and....
One of our members stated that the Archbishop here has allowed this public display and speaking in churches on the basis that the other Archbishop allowed it.

I'm not questioning at all whether br elia is a saint or not or if what the claims are, are indeed genuine, but i 'm awaiting the verdict of Holy Mother Church. (Rome)

there seems to be differing directions here on whether or not br elia is permitted to travel the world giving public appearances.

itinerary on his webpage shows he's travelled quite a bit...amongst the countries included are :China, Japon, Taiwan and Corea..... travel to CANADA cancelled... France, in Bretagne. Australia.

marie

MarieT
Site Admin

Post by MarieT » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:08 am

i spoke to a parishioner today whom travelled to another parish to attend elia's gathering. Her and a friend went for healing but after he personally prayed over her....no healing came (she was told it could take up to a week....okkkkkkkk)

there was no sign of the aroma of flowers that apparently is supposed to be around elia nor did she feel anything out of the ordinary that one would feel in the presence of a 'saint'.

he spoke (thru an interpreter) of the necessity to go to church more than just Easter Sunday and Christmas, and of the need to pray for others not only ourselves.

marie

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:26 am

he spoke (thru an interpreter) of the necessity to go to church more than just Easter Sunday and Christmas, and of the need to pray for others not only ourselves.
Uh...OK! Nothing new here. I could claim to be a special tool of God and say the same thing. It isn't something we don't already know or am I missing something?

We aren't even in Advent yet and he is waiting for his "lenten torment". I wonder when he awaits the landing of the mother ship? :roll:

Denise
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales