Fatima/Medjugorje

Heresy experiments in distortion; orthodoxy developes in proportion. The false emphasis is not only a wrong in itself but it is used as a means of diverting the eyes of men in the wrong direction. Van Zeller

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT

maryg

Fatima/Medjugorje

Post by maryg » Sat May 17, 2008 6:56 pm

I was lucky enough to hear a young nun from Fatima speak last night. She is a member of the Alliance of Holy Mary community and she visits the U.S. periodically to speak about Fatima. She has been working on the canonization of Jacinta and Francisco for the last eight years. She emphasized the importance of the message of Fatima. She reminded us that the Blessed Mother requested the daily rosary and the five first Saturday devotion. She said that when we don't do what the Blessed Mother asks of us, we are being disobedient to Her and disobedience is killing our church. What was interesting was her response to a question about Medjugorje. She very politely responded by saying that she did not know much about Medj., but it was the practice of her order to obey the church with regard to apparitions that were not approved. She said obedience was key. She said something to the effect that there were a lot of distractions "out there" and that we would do well to stick to church approved apparitions and she proceeded to name them. It was wonderful to hear this very special sister share her love for Our Lady and the message of Fatima.

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Sat May 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Everyone here knows that I totally support Fatima. But, this statement by the nun:
She said that when we don't do what the Blessed Mother asks of us, we are being disobedient to Her and disobedience is killing our church.
Hum, now where does the church teach that, especially concerning apparitions that no one is obligated to believe in. If we are not obligated to believe in them, then we are not obligated to believe in messages or directions given to someone by the apparition. I think that statement could actually turn some people off, especially those struggling with conversion to the Church.

We are called to be obedient to Christ and His Church and to obey the 10 Commandments.

Denise
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Sat May 17, 2008 8:07 pm

In thinking about this a bit more, there seems to be a small contradiction here as well. First the nun says that Our Lady requests the daily rosary etc. and then she says that if we don't listen we are disobedient. Now, how can someone, even our Lady make a request and then if others do not do what is requested, be in disobedience? An obligation and a request are two different things.

That statement about being disobedient to Our Lady sounds more like Medjugorje drivel. Poor St. Therese would have been in a lot of trouble seeing that she never finished a rosary because she would fall asleep.

I posted something by Fr. O'Brien a while back when someone asked if it is mandatory to pray the rosary. A protestant minister asked me about the rosary and I submitted the question to Fr. O. He said that no one is ever obligated to pray even one rosary but it is a great idea and many graces come from it if we do pray it.

I don't want others, who read this forum to get the wrong idea here. I love the Blessed Mother, who is my heavenly mother and I would defend her to death, but I cannot defend what this nun from Fatima has said. Hopefully she made an innocent mistake.

Denise
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

maryg

Post by maryg » Sat May 17, 2008 9:30 pm

I think what sister was saying was that the Blessed Mother (our heavenly Mother) wants us to say the rosary daily. If our own (earthly) mother were to ask us to do something and we did not do it, wouldn't we be disobedient? Please keep in mind I am paraphrasing what sister said here and not quoting her directly. I didn't have a problem with anything sister said. The teaching she did on the rosary was beautiful. The reason I posted was because I thought people would find her comments on Medjugorje interesting.

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Sat May 17, 2008 10:24 pm

I don't think that comparing our mom telling us to do things when we are little, with a "request" from an Our Lady during an apparition is the same thing. The commandment that we honor our father and mother is not a request. We must obey the commandments but we are not obliged to embrace apparitions or messages given during them. If we are not obliged then there is no disobedience what so ever.

Maybe the nun or you meant that it is a very wise to listen to Our Lady when she is speaking(in approved apparitions). I totally agree and am not trying to give you a hard time. I just need to make sure people who read this forum understand, especially if they are non-Catholic.

I do appreciate you posting this and I do find her comments on Medj. interesting.

Blessings
Denise