THE MOST HOLY NAME OF JESUS

"Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence... 1 Peter 3:15. A forum for every individual who asks us to give an account of the hope that is in us and who wants to know what the Catholic Church believes.

Moderators: johnmc, MarieT

johnmc

THE MOST HOLY NAME OF JESUS

Post by johnmc » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:30 am

The month of January, which is almost halfway through, is dedicated to The Most Holy Name of Jesus. Here are some paragraphs from the Catechism on just how powerful the Holy Name of Jesus is:

I. JESUS

430 Jesus means in Hebrew: "God saves." At the annunciation, the angel Gabriel gave him the name Jesus as his proper name, which expresses both his identity and his mission. Since God alone can forgive sins, it is God who, in Jesus his eternal Son made man, "will save his people from their sins". in Jesus, God recapitulates all of his history of salvation on behalf of men.

431 In the history of salvation God was not content to deliver Israel "out of the house of bondage"by bringing them out of Egypt. He also saves them from their sin. Because sin is always an offence against God, only he can forgive it. For this reason Israel, becoming more and more aware of the universality of sin, will no longer be able to seek salvation except by invoking the name of the Redeemer God.

432 The name "Jesus" signifies that the very name of God is present in the person of his Son, made man for the universal and definitive redemption from sins. It is the divine name that alone brings salvation, and henceforth all can invoke his name, for Jesus united himself to all men through his Incarnation, so that "there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."

434 Jesus' Resurrection glorifies the name of the Savior God, for from that time on it is the name of Jesus that fully manifests the supreme power of the "name which is above every name". The evil spirits fear his name; in his name his disciples perform miracles, for the Father grants all they ask in this name.

435 The name of Jesus is at the heart of Christian prayer. All liturgical prayers conclude with the words "through our Lord Jesus Christ". The Hail Mary reaches its high point in the words "blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus." The Eastern prayer of the heart, the Jesus Prayer, says: "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner." Many Christians, such as St. Joan of Arc, have died with the one word "Jesus" on their lips.

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:49 am

John, did you listen to the homily from last week? It is all about the Holy Name of Jesus. I am still trying to transcribe it and should be finished today and will post it here as usual.

I am a bit distracted and can't seem to sit still long enough to type.

Blessings
Denise
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

johnmc

Post by johnmc » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:56 am

No, Denise, I did not get a chance to listen to the homily from last week. Actually, I wanted to post this on January 3rd but didn't get a chance to. I can understand you being distracted with all you have going on.

Paragraph 435 of the above is very consoling especially, St. Joan of Arc.

John

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:03 pm

Thanks John.

In Fr. Paul's homily, and what he has always taught the kids is that every knee shall bend at the Name of Jesus. The Church has now taught us to bow our heads at His Name, a small nod is acceptable. Sometimes when I forget Aniya will hit me with her elbow and nod her head to remind me.

From the elbow of babes. :)

Denise
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales