Robert Lee Thompson to die tonight November 19th at 6pm

"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner." This forum was created specifically for notices on upcoming US executions so that these men and women will be guaranteed our prayers as they meet Our Lord face to face.

Moderators: MarieT, Lori

Lori

Robert Lee Thompson to die tonight November 19th at 6pm

Post by Lori » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:12 am

Let us pray for Robert today and also for the people he killed. In this case, the one for which he is to be executed, he was not the shooter and the shooter received life in prison and not the death penalty.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/thompsonrobert.htm

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... gD9C2JQU80

KarlB
Saint Finder

Post by KarlB » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:48 pm

In this case, the one for which he is to be executed, he was not the shooter and the shooter received life in prison and not the death penalty.

One of my problems with the death penalty is the principle of equal justice before the law. I will say the chaplet of Robert
pax lux,
karl

Remember that thou hast made me of clay; and wilt thou turn me to dust again? Job10:9

JeniR

Post by JeniR » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:57 pm

Except that he and the co defendant robbed 8 other stores and killed two others. Looks like he admitted to being the trigger man on the other two. Not fair one get death and the other did not...I totally agree. I will pray for this man and his soul tonight.
And so , with every beat of my heart, I thank You, my God, for your great mercy towards me.~Saint Faustina~

Johnna

Post by Johnna » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:05 pm

Yes, it is not fair. I think the death penalty should be used in society's self defense only. If it doesn't endanger society, then guilty people should receive life sentences without parole, imho.
Domine Non Sum Dignus!

Holiness is not for wimps and the cross is not negotiable, sweetheart, it's a requirement.
~ Mother Angelica

KarlB
Saint Finder

Post by KarlB » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:28 pm

That is my opinion also, Johnna. I can think of cases where it has to be employed, but they are mostly in cases when a society's own existence is imperilled.

I don't think anyone could have come up with anything else for dispensing justice to the Nazi war criminals (and even there only the highest echelons received it).. in cases of genocide or mass murder aimed at bringing down the social order.

There are utterly grotesque cases out there that deserve it, but imho, it is reflective of a society that can turn the other cheek in even the most aggregious of assaults to life and decency.
pax lux,
karl

Remember that thou hast made me of clay; and wilt thou turn me to dust again? Job10:9