Please read; our Joe is included in this newsletter

"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner." This forum was created specifically for notices on upcoming US executions so that these men and women will be guaranteed our prayers as they meet Our Lord face to face.

Moderators: MarieT, Lori

Denise
Site Admin

Please read; our Joe is included in this newsletter

Post by Denise » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:47 am

Murder Victims’ Families for Reconciliation (MVFR)

Texas Newsletter – August 2012

Contents

- Family Members React to Aurora, Colorado Shootings

- A Texas Family Member’s Story: Joe Baker

- Lifting Family Members’ Stories

- MVFR Reaches Out to Texans

- National Day of Remembrance is September 25th

- Emotional and Crisis Support is Available

Family Members React to Aurora, Colorado Shootings

Murder victim family members have spoken out nationally about the Aurora, Colorado theater shootings, what victims/survivors need in the aftermath of these horrific acts of violence, and how the parents of the alleged shooter have become outcasts in their own town. For some family members, the issue is more than getting revenge - it’s about healing a gaping wound that was opened by this terrible tragedy.

To read more about how some are responding visit:

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/7/23/b ... ahoma_city

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/07 ... ariahs?lit

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/22 ... s-20120722

A Texas Father Finds Peace after Daughter’s Murder

By Chris Castillo

Joe Walker, who lives in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, was an unassuming man. He was wearing a blue blazer and a Knights of Columbus badge identifying him. I met him at a restaurant during a recent trip to Fort Worth,

But Joe, in my opinion, defines faith. His 40-year-old daughter Sarah was murdered in the Dallas –Forth Worth area while showing a model home to a potential client about five years ago. Sarah was the mother of two children, who are now being raised by their father.

What I found astonishing about Joe is that at his daughter’s funeral he asked those in attendance to pray for the killer. MVFR is comprised of a lot of people with a lot of different experiences and views on forgiveness. It took me more than 5 years to forgive my mother’s killer, and some people don’t ever reach a level of forgiveness. It is a journey, and all of our journeys are different. All journeys need to be respected.

The next thing that he said struck me very hard, “I am 70 years old and I want to do what I can with the time I have left to help end the death penalty.”

This is an amazing man. He has his limits, I am sure, but he is led by his faith. The day he learned of his daughter’s murder he was coming back from confession at his church.

Currently, Kosoul Chanthakoummane, 25 at the time of the murder, is on death row. Joe is against the death penalty and keeps Kosoul in his prayers.

Since the murder occurred, Joe made it very clear to several news agencies that he prays every day, not only for the repose of the soul of his daughter, but for her killer as well.

Joe gives me a new meaning for the word faith. I truly admire what he has done. He gives me something to strive for in my life.

To read more about Joe Walker visit: www.thedivinemercy.org/news/story.php?NID=2553

Lifting Family Members’ Stories

By Scott Bass, MVFR Executive Director

MVFR values opportunities to lift up the stories of our members. We understand that family members’ stories range widely and that their journeys and experiences vary. We understand that areas of faith and forgiveness are often problematic for some individuals and families who have experienced sudden, traumatic loss. For some faith is a critical resource – an anchor in the midst of a storm. For others, faith questions raised by the tragedy become the storm itself.

When we lift up stories where faith and/or forgiveness are central, we celebrate with the family members for whom it is a resource and path to healing. At the same time, we feel a responsibility to remind members that we respect and honor your story no matter where you are with regard to faith and/or forgiveness.

“Reconciliation” means different things to different people. Paths to healing and reasons for opposing the death penalty vary widely. Whatever “reconciliation” means to you and whatever your reasons for opposing the death penalty, we would love to hear from you and lift your story as well.

MVFR Reaches Out to Texans

MVFR has been reaching out, talking to people and distributing materials in Texas from Fort Worth to Houston this summer. Most recently we participated in the national conference of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) at the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston. The first week in July, Executive Director Scott Bass, Texas Coordinator Chris Castillo and two Texas MVFR members distributed material during the Convention and attended a session on criminal justice. One of the speakers at the session was Kristin Houlé, Executive Director of the Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty (TCADP).

It was a great treat to meet family members and supporters from as far away as Florida, North Carolina, Ohio and Colorado and to spread the word that there are better answers than the death penalty. Overall, we received a very good reception from attendees.

Earlier in the summer at the George R. Brown, we distributed information alongside TCADP during the Black Expo in mid-June. This was our first time to work this conference, and it went well. We are grateful for help from a TCADP board member and a loyal volunteer.

Also, MVFR attended the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship General Assembly in late June at the Fort Worth Convention Center. We interacted with a good crowd and we passed out a lot of material to educate people about the death penalty in our nation and in Texas.

Mark Your Calendar:

National Day of Remembrance for Murder Victims – September 25, 2012

National Day of Remembrance for Murder Victims is just around the corner – September 25, 2012. In communities around Texas and the entire country, family members, victims’ advocates, victims’ service providers and others will participate in various observances to honor and remember their murdered loved ones. Please check with your local chapter of Parents of Murdered Children, Victim Assistance Centers or your police and sheriff’s departments to find out about related activities in your area. Also, watch your inbox and our website www.mvfr.org for ways that MVFR will be observing this day of remembrance.

Crisis Support and Mental Health Assistance is Available

Help is just a phone call away for people who are suffering after the murder of a loved one or a friend.

Crisis Intervention of Houston has a crisis response team available for people who are coping with the death of a loved one by homicide, suicide or a disaster that has impacted their community.

Intervention sessions can be scheduled between 24 and 48 hours after initial contact by calling (713) 527-4747. The Hotline also offers mental health counseling by trained personnel which can be accessed by calling (713) 468-5463. In addition to personal assistance 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, the service also makes referrals available for people who might require a sessions with a mental health professional.

To share feedback or contribute ideas about future stories, contact Chris Castillo, Texas Coordinator for MVFR, at ccastillo@mvfr.org or call toll free 1(877) 482-9334.

MVFR's members are persons whose loved ones have been taken by murder and who believe the death penalty is a response to murder that only creates more harm. MVFR members help their friends, co-workers, media and policymakers understand the negative impact that capital punishment has on the families of murder victims and the executed. MVFR is a non-partisan, 501 (c) 3 nonprofit organization that offers public education and advocacy on the death penalty and the needs of murder victim family members.

More information about our work can be found at www.mvfr.org or by contacting Marcelle Clowes at mclowes@mvfr.org.
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

KarlB
Saint Finder

Post by KarlB » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:23 pm

“I am 70 years old and I want to do what I can with the time I have left to help end the death penalty.”
Good for you, Joe. Live the faith.
pax lux,
karl

Remember that thou hast made me of clay; and wilt thou turn me to dust again? Job10:9

Johnna

Post by Johnna » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:12 pm

It is amazing what can happen when things are done God's way! Keep at it, Joe. :D
Domine Non Sum Dignus!

Holiness is not for wimps and the cross is not negotiable, sweetheart, it's a requirement.
~ Mother Angelica

Lori

Post by Lori » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:51 pm

Joe is such an inspiration to us all.
Totus tuus ego sum, et omnia mea tua sunt. Accipio te in mea omnia. Praebe mihi cor tuum, Maria.