WE HAVE A POPE

Please use this forum to post and/or discuss Encyclicals, Pastoral Letters, Papal Exhortations, or news about the Holy Father. If you are a non-Catholic and have a question concerning Papal Authority, feel free to ask it here.

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT

johnmc

WE HAVE A POPE

Post by johnmc » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:13 pm

A new Pope has been elected

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:20 pm

Ican't wait to see who it is. Wow! Fox news is carrying the coverage so I can see when everyone else does.
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

johnmc

Post by johnmc » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:31 pm

Its been 25 minutes since we have seen the white smoke. It usually takes a half hour for the ne pope to come out

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:33 pm

Just a thought! This is the first time in history that a previous Pope has been able to see the new Pope elected.
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

johnmc

Post by johnmc » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:39 pm

Not the first time, Denise, a pope resigned 600 years ago.

Johnna

Post by Johnna » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:49 pm

Soooooo excited! I can't wait to see who it is either. I have to get kids from school, school but I think it will be soon now. Otherwise it is ewtn radio for me, I guess.
Domine Non Sum Dignus!

Holiness is not for wimps and the cross is not negotiable, sweetheart, it's a requirement.
~ Mother Angelica

johnmc

Post by johnmc » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:15 pm

Habemus Papam

Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires, Argentina

Pope Francis

johnmc

Post by johnmc » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:15 pm

He is a jesuit

johnmc

Post by johnmc » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:17 pm

The first pope who has ever taken the name Francis, first pope from South America. He is 76 years old.

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:19 pm

John, no, this is the first time a Pope has "watched" the election of a new Pope. There were no TVs or radios back then, lol!

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:26 pm

He look scared to death, has a very kind and holy voice and such a peaceful look about him.

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:50 pm

Been trying to access Fr. Z's blog, no way. I am anxious to see what he says, as well as Fr. George.

Johnna

Post by Johnna » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:45 pm

Denise, I too think he seems kind and gentle. I don't know much about him as a cardinal, but I am warming to him already. I just know we are blessed. :)

http://www.ewtn.com/popefrancis/election/biography.asp
Love the motto.
Domine Non Sum Dignus!

Holiness is not for wimps and the cross is not negotiable, sweetheart, it's a requirement.
~ Mother Angelica

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:50 pm

I locked Papa Benedict's forum and placed a new one above it for Pope Francis

KarlB
Saint Finder

Post by KarlB » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:49 pm

That's a surprise. When i first saw him and heard his voice... i was thinking still waters run deep. I nearly fell off my chair when i heard he was a Jesuit. But.. he seems very humble, gentle, prayerful.. a little like JP1 maybe.. but you shouldn't read too much into first impressions.

I do expect he might be of a different archetype than the socially, ecclesiastically, liturgically and theologically activist ministries of JP2 and B16.. in fact most of the Popes of the 20th century.. less confrontational. Less focussed on first world apostate culture and more on evangelism in the developing world. Although, in fairness those issues, especially in the West are not going to go away.

The reason the 'Jesuit' surprised me was that for a long time it was thought that the Jesuit constitution precluded election to the Papacy. And frequently the ranks have been filled with free thinking adventurers, intellectual and of missionary zeal.

'Francis' as well is a first.. leaving no footsteps or trace of Pontifical character and continuity. St. Francis of Assissi maybe.. or St. Francis Xavier.. very different inspirations. He seems to have a quiet charism about him. Might be more representative of the passion of the southern Church than the intense reason of the north.

Also he is not of B16s direct intellectual lineage.. having been his chief (but distant) rival in the 2005 Conclave. There seem a lot of firsts here, but maybe he conforms to an older model of a Pope.. pre modern.

A prayer for the new Holy Father.. and for his stewardship of the Church in peace and unity.
pax lux,
karl

Remember that thou hast made me of clay; and wilt thou turn me to dust again? Job10:9