Pope urges 'courageous' rather than 'courteous' prayer

Please use this forum to post and/or discuss Encyclicals, Pastoral Letters, Papal Exhortations, or news about the Holy Father. If you are a non-Catholic and have a question concerning Papal Authority, feel free to ask it here.

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Mon May 20, 2013 7:14 pm

CWN - May 20, 2013

Pope Francis recommended “courageous prayer” rather than “prayers of courtesy” in his homily at daily Mass on May 20.

Commenting on the day’s Gospel, and the remark of Jesus that some demons can only be driven out by prayer, the Pope said that great things can be accomplished by those who “give control of things to Jesus.” Ordinarily, he said, people do not have enough faith. “All of us carry a little bit of disbelief within,” he said. Pope Francis told this congregation about a man in Argentina who, informed that his child was dying, spent an entire night praying feverishly—“acting like a madman”—and then learned that the child had inexplicably recovered from illness. That man, he said, in his prayer “was struggling with God.”

“Prayer works wonders, but we have to believe,” the Pope said. He urged the faithful to pray with intensity. At the same time, he recommended the prayer from the day’s Gospel: “Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief.”
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

Johnna

Post by Johnna » Mon May 20, 2013 10:24 pm

Even just the headline makes me smile. :D
Domine Non Sum Dignus!

Holiness is not for wimps and the cross is not negotiable, sweetheart, it's a requirement.
~ Mother Angelica