In the garden of peace, tears over Jerusalem

Please use this forum to post and/or discuss Encyclicals, Pastoral Letters, Papal Exhortations, or news about the Holy Father. If you are a non-Catholic and have a question concerning Papal Authority, feel free to ask it here.

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT

Denise
Site Admin

In the garden of peace, tears over Jerusalem

Post by Denise » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:17 am

Translated from Italian

English

In that strip of paradise garden in which Sunday 8 June Pope Francesco and the Presidents of Israel and Palestine Simon Peres and Abu Mazen have invoked the one God is vibrated the dream of peace on earth that never comes, but also the utopia of a Jerusalem so hard to pacify precisely because holy to all three religions descended from Abraham.
The evocation of Jerusalem has characterized the high Jewish prayer, Psalm 147, and then the prayer of Christians, under Chapter 65 of the Prophet Isaiah as measured by the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople Bartholomew.

But especially the reference to Jerusalem was the closing speeches of Central Peres and Abu Mazen.

The President of Israel spoke thus:

"I came from the Holy City of Jerusalem to thank you for your invitation. The Holy City of Jerusalem is at the heart of the Jewish people. In Hebrew, our ancient language, the word Jerusalem and the word ' peace ' have the same root. Indeed, peace is the same vision of Jerusalem. As we read in the book of Psalms (122, 6-9): "ask peace for Jerusalem. To be sure those who love you. Is peace in your walls and security within your palaces. For my brothers and my friends I'll say: peace be upon you. For the House of the Lord our God, I will ask for you good ' ".

But further spoke of the Palestinian President, in three passages of his speech in which he quoted the New Testament:

"O God, we praise you forever for making Jerusalem our door to heaven. As it says in the Holy Qur'an, ' Glory to him who has done that his servant to travel by night from the sacred place of worship at the highest place of worship, whose surroundings we have blessed. ' Thou hast made the pilgrimage and prayer in this place the best acts that the faithful can accomplish in your honor, and you have your faithful promise expressed in the words: ' entering the Masjid as they did for the first time. God Almighty has told the truth. "

"I beg you, O Lord, in the name of my people, the Palestinian people – Muslims, Christians and Samaritans – that craves a just peace, a worthy life and freedom. I beg you, o Lord, to make the future of our nation prosperous and promising, with freedom in a sovereign State and independent. Grant, o Lord, to our region and to his people security, salvation and stability. Save our blessed city Jerusalem; the first Kiblah and the second Holy Mosque, the third of the two Holy Mosques, and the city of blessings and peace with everything that surrounds it. "

"Today, we are repeating what Jesus Christ says turning to Jerusalem: ' If you had known the way of peace today! ' (Luke 19.42). Remember also the words of Saint John Paul II, when he said: ' if peace is realized in Jerusalem, peace will be witnessed throughout the world '. And at the same time, in our prayers today, we repeatedly proclaimed to those who are committed to peace: ' blessed are the peacemakers! '; and ' Ask peace for Jerusalem '. as it is said in the Scriptures. Therefore we ask You, Lord, peace in the Holy Land, Palestine, and Jerusalem together with his people. We ask that you make the Palestine and Jerusalem in particular a land safe for all believers, and a place of prayer and worship for the followers of the three monotheistic religions – Judaism, Christianity and islam – and for all those who wish to visit as it is laid down in the Holy Quran ".

Jews and Christians are faithfully adhered to written texts prepared under the coordination of the custos of the Holy Land Pierbattista Pizzaballa: texts drawn up by each delegation individually but communicated in advance and accepted by others.

Only Muslims are posted here and there, during prayer, read and Sung improvisations that have alarmed some of the Jews present, some emphases on unilateral question of Jerusalem.

In any case, the first time a joint prayer of Christians, Jews and Muslims in the Roman garden of the successor of Peter has shown the world – as Pope said Francis – that "the spiral of hatred and violence cannot be broken with a single word: ' brother '. But to say this word we must raise all gaze at the sky, and see ourselves as children of one father. "

Italian
http://magister.blogautore.espresso.repubblica.it

In quel lembo di giardino paradisiaco nel quale domenica 8 giugno papa Francesco e i presidenti d’Israele e di Palestina Simon Peres e Abu Mazen hanno invocato l’unico Dio è vibrato il sogno di una pace in terra che non arriva mai, ma anche l’utopia di una Gerusalemme così difficile da pacificare proprio perché santa per tutte e tre le religioni discese da Abramo.

L’evocazione di Gerusalemme ha caratterizzato da subito la preghiera elevata dagli ebrei, col salmo 147, e poi la preghiera dei cristiani, col capitolo 65 del profeta Isaia letto dal patriarca ecumenico di Costantinopoli Bartolomeo.

Ma soprattutto il richiamo a Gerusalemme è stato centrale nei discorsi conclusivi di Peres e Abu Mazen.

Il presidente d’Israele ne ha parlato così:

“Sono venuto dalla città santa di Gerusalemme per ringraziarvi per questo vostro invito eccezionale. La città santa di Gerusalemme è il cuore pulsante del popolo ebraico. In ebraico, la nostra lingua antica, la parola Gerusalemme e la parola ‘pace’ hanno la stessa radice. E infatti pace è la visione stessa di Gerusalemme. Come si legge nel libro dei Salmi (122, 6-9): “Chiedete pace per Gerusalemme. Vivano sicuri quelli che ti amano. Sia pace nelle tue mura e sicurezza nei tuoi palazzi. Per i miei fratelli e i miei amici io dirò: Su di te sia pace. Per la casa del Signore nostro Dio, chiederò per te il bene’”.

Ma più ancora ne ha parlato il presidente palestinese, in tre passaggi del suo discorso nei quali ha citato anche il Nuovo Testamento:

“O Dio, noi ti lodiamo sempre per aver fatto di Gerusalemme la nostra porta per il cielo. Come dice il Santo Corano, ‘Gloria a Lui, che ha fatto che il Suo servo viaggiasse di notte dal luogo sacro dell’adorazione al più alto luogo dell’adorazione, i cui dintorni Noi abbiamo benedetto’. Tu hai reso il pellegrinaggio e la preghiera in questo luogo gli atti migliori che i fedeli possono compiere in tuo onore, e hai espresso la tua promessa fedele con le parole: ‘Entrino nel Masjid come hanno fatto per la prima volta’. Dio Onnipotente ha detto la verità”.

“Ti supplico, O Signore, in nome del mio popolo, il popolo della Palestina – musulmani, cristiani e samaritani – che desidera ardentemente una pace giusta, una vita degna e la libertà. Ti supplico, o Signore, di rendere il futuro del nostro popolo prospero e promettente, con libertà in uno stato sovrano e indipendente. Concedi, o Signore, alla nostra regione e al suo popolo sicurezza, salvezza e stabilità. Salva la nostra città benedetta Gerusalemme; la prima Kiblah, la seconda Santa Moschea, la terza delle due Sante Moschee, e la città delle benedizioni e della pace con tutto ciò che la circonda”.

“Oggi, noi ripetiamo ciò che Gesù Cristo dice rivolgendosi a Gerusalemme: ‘Se tu avessi conosciuto oggi la via della pace!’ (Luca 19,42). Ricordiamo pure le parole di san Giovanni Paolo II, quando disse: ‘Se la pace si realizza a Gerusalemme, la pace sarà testimoniata nel mondo intero’. E allo stesso tempo, nella nostra preghiera di oggi, abbiamo ripetutamente proclamato per coloro che si impegnano per la pace: ‘Beati gli operatori di pace!’; e ‘Chiedete pace per Gerusalemme’. come si dice nelle Sacre Scritture. Perciò noi Ti chiediamo, Signore, la pace nella Terra Santa, Palestina, e Gerusalemme insieme con il suo popolo. Noi ti chiediamo di rendere la Palestina e Gerusalemme in particolare una terra sicura per tutti i credenti, e un luogo di preghiera e di culto per i seguaci delle tre religioni monoteistiche – ebraismo, cristianesimo, islam – e per tutti coloro che desiderano visitarla come è stabilito nel Santo Corano”.

Ebrei e cristiani si sono attenuti fedelmente ai testi scritti predisposti con il coordinamento del custode di Terra Santa Pierbattista Pizzaballa: testi autonomamente redatti da ciascuna delegazione ma comunicati in anticipo e accettati dalle altre.

Solo i musulmani se ne sono qua e là distaccati, durante la preghiera, con improvvisazioni lette e cantate che hanno messo in allarme alcuni degli ebrei presenti, per alcune accentuazioni unilaterali proprio sulla questione di Gerusalemme.

In ogni caso, questa prima volta di una preghiera congiunta di cristiani, ebrei e musulmani nel giardino romano del successore di Pietro ha mostrato al mondo – come ha detto papa Francesco – che “la spirale dell’odio e della violenza può essere spezzata con una sola parola: ‘fratello’. Ma per dire questa parola dobbiamo alzare tutti lo sguardo al Cielo, e riconoscerci figli di un unico Padre”.
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales