Francis may change law of celibacy to allow priests marriage

Please use this forum to post and/or discuss Encyclicals, Pastoral Letters, Papal Exhortations, or news about the Holy Father. If you are a non-Catholic and have a question concerning Papal Authority, feel free to ask it here.

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT

MarieT
Site Admin

Francis may change law of celibacy to allow priests marriage

Post by MarieT » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:31 pm

Pope Francis wants to change two major Catholic laws he sees as 'archaic'

By Abigail James (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

3/12/2015 (5 months ago)

The Pope's longtime 'best friend' claims the pontiff has plans of accepting married priests and divorcees.

In a private conversation with his longtime friend from Buenos Aires, Oscar Crespo, Pope Francis reportedly revealed his plans to change important "archaic" parts of the Catholic rules. Crespo claims the Pope intends to overturn the "centuries-old ban" on Catholic priests from getting married and to lift the banishment of divorcees from the Catholic church.

Pope Francis may have plans to do away with required priest celibacy.

Highlights

By Abigail James (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

3/12/2015 (5 months ago)

Published in Living Faith

Keywords: Pope Francis, Catholic law, priest, celibacy, divorce, divorcee, married, adultery

LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - As it stands now, Catholic priests take a vow of celibacy and cannot be married. The Catholic church simply does not accept divorce, and anyone divorced, who then remarries or starts a sexual relationship with a new person, is committing adultery under Catholic law.

"He said, these were his priorities as Pope. The first of all is to change the rules for divorced couples," claims Crespo on his conversation with Francis. "The second was to eliminate the law of celibacy. He said it was not part of the doctrine of the church. It was started more than 1,000 years ago by a pope, and he considers it archaic, an antiquity which needs to be reconsidered."

"He thinks God made everyone to live in family, including priests."

Crespo claims Pope Francis told him six years ago (pictured meeting here), when the Pope, real name Jorge Bergoglio, was archbishop of Buenos Aires, that the ban on priests getting married was not "doctrine."

According to devout Catholic and divorcee, Claudia Garcia Larumbe, she was divorced at the age of 31 and no longer allowed to participate in her Catholic church activities, such as Communion and confession, because she was now considered to be living in adultery.

Larumbe heard Crespo was going to visit the Pope and asked him to send a message to Francis. "I said I wanted to be part of the church, I wanted to be able to confess, but I wasn't able to because I had divorced. I just wanted some advice, but I never expected to get an answer back," expressed Larumbe to Daily Mail. "But when Oscar got back he called me and said he had spoken personally with the Pope and that he had given me permission himself. I was speechless and so emotional, I couldn't believe I'd got a message directly from the Pope."

Pope Francis has spoken out against a number of issues; this is not the first time information on the Pope's feelings toward Priest marriage and divorce have been recorded.

In May he is reported as saying celibacy is "a gift for the church, but since it is not a dogma, the door is always open," and that the issue of married priests is in his "diary."

Pope Francis (second from the right in back row) and Oscar Crespo (third from left in front row) were secondary school classmates.

Crespo is considered the Pope's best friend and former secondary school classmate; the two men correspond often and Crespo made a special visit to Rome to see his friend in October.

Crespo claims the pontiff was "serious and passionate" as they discussed his "two main plans"

However Crespo points out Francis "does not intend to force through radical reforms at the expense of church unity." "Changes are made either with time or with blood, and I choose peace," Francis is quoted as saying, according to Crespo.

Longtime friend, Oscar Crespo visited the Pope at the Vatican in October.

Although Pope Francis has previously expressed his sentiment on the mentioned topics, the conversations and details provided by his friend, Crespo were from a private conversation that should not be taken as any part of his teachings.

"The Synod on the Family is in course so the issue [of the divorced in new relationships] is being addressed. The Pope has already said what he has to say on the divorced - remarried at the Synod last October and the issue will be discussed again at this year's Synod," explained Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi. "We don't know what the Pope may have said as part of a private conversation. We only know what he says in public. Since such conversations do not form part of the Pope's public activities, no comments from the press office should be expected.

Such conversations should be seen in the context of personal pastoral relationships." Pope to change priest celbacy laws ~ sees as archaic
"He who followeth Me, walketh not in darkness." sayeth the Lord

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:19 pm

I just read something from the Vatican recently that priests will not be able to get married. I have to find it.
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

KarlB
Saint Finder

Post by KarlB » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:20 pm

Marriage has existed in the Eastern Rites of the Catholic Church since its origins, under very strict guidelines (not for bishops or curia, no marriage after oridination.. ).

But its been the practice of the Latin Church for a millenia, and that was deemed in accord with the revelation of the Church. There are huge issues with a married priesthood, which will mean a divided priesthood, and priest divided by two vocations.

Hardly 'archaic', in is in fact a legacy, informed by revelation and experience. Tread carefully here, in discerning archaic from patrimonial deposit.
pax lux,
karl

Remember that thou hast made me of clay; and wilt thou turn me to dust again? Job10:9