Francis war with US bishops

Please use this forum to post and/or discuss Encyclicals, Pastoral Letters, Papal Exhortations, or news about the Holy Father. If you are a non-Catholic and have a question concerning Papal Authority, feel free to ask it here.

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT

MarieT
Site Admin

Francis war with US bishops

Post by MarieT » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:20 pm

According to Associated Press, Pope Francis blasted against conservative members of the US Catholic Church, arguing that they have replaced faith with ideology.
An American schism
©Provided by The Daily Digest
The comment, made during the World Youth Day in Lisbon in 2023, admittedly was a source of friction between the pontiff and some within US Catholic leadership, Reuters reveals.
Former US priest Frank Pavone gave his take to Newsweek: “It comes across as judgmental. It also comes across as he doesn't understand America too well," he said. "
Online blasphemy
Pavone was defrocked in 2022 due to “blasphemous communications on social media”, among other things for heavily campaigning against abortion, and insulting Joe Biden and the Democratic Party.
Checkmate on the bishop
In 2023, Joseph Strickland was dismissed as bishop of Tyler, Texas, something very rare as bishops are generally requested to resign. No reason was given by the Vatican nor the US Bishops Conference.
Opening the gates of the Church
According to The Guardian, the former Catholic bishop voiced opposition to the pontiff’s request to make the Church of Rome more open to LGBTQ people and attempts to give laypeople more control within the institution
But I'm a believer...
21% of the US adult population identify as Catholic, as opposed to circa 40% that are protestant, making the Catholic Church the second biggest Christian denomination in the United States.
The good Pope
A 2021 survey by the Pew Research Center shows that 82% of US Catholics have a favorable view of Pope Francis.

source
"He who followeth Me, walketh not in darkness." sayeth the Lord

Denise
Site Admin

Re: Francis war with US bishops

Post by Denise » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:26 pm

A 2021 survey by the Pew Research Center shows that 82% of US Catholics have a favorable view of Pope Francis.
🤔
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

MarieT
Site Admin

Re: Francis war with US bishops

Post by MarieT » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:13 am

yes that had me baffled also
"He who followeth Me, walketh not in darkness." sayeth the Lord