Cathedral priorities (Melbourne)

Sometimes we need to talk about issues that concern us or have affected us personally. In this forum, you are welcomed to respectfully vent your concerns about today's Church issues or other issues of importance. News stories are welcomed here as well.

Moderators: johnmc, Johnna, MarieT, Denise

MarieT
Site Admin

Cathedral priorities (Melbourne)

Post by MarieT » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 pm

I was saddened to learn after attending the Stations of the Cross at the Cathedral this morning that the age old (as far as i recall as a child) practise of Confession after the Stations of the Cross did not take place.

Instead the focus was on the "ecumenical stations" after it
ecumenical stations are where other christian denominations walk around together at different locations for each station. (1 station is located at the cathedral)

While our Lord did say "..that they all may be one..." and thats the main scope of ecumenism, I must state that surely a couple of priests could have been spared for confession purposes if the archbishop had to attend the ecumenical stations.....there weren't many of us at all....possibly because it wasn't announced after the stations so people left.

back in the time of Cardinal Pell as Archbishop of Melbourne (and his successor Arch Hart) priority was for their own flock first - our service was at 1030 inside the cathedral and we could hear the ecumenical group as they arrived outside chanting, towards the end of the Catholic stations.

fast forward to today 2024 - the service has been changed to 9 am (speculating - for the latest archbishop to attend the ecumenical stations.....yet the confessions have been cancelled.)

update - confessions will be heard after the 3 pm Passion of our Lord service - but for those from other parishes who attend the 3 pm service in their own parish, they have lost the opportunity of confession straight after the Stations of the Cross
"He who followeth Me, walketh not in darkness." sayeth the Lord

MarieT
Site Admin

Re: Cathedral priorities (Melbourne)

Post by MarieT » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 pm

candles were lit and prayers for deceased members and family members of Semperfi also were offered
"He who followeth Me, walketh not in darkness." sayeth the Lord

Denise
Site Admin

Re: Cathedral priorities (Melbourne)

Post by Denise » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 pm

And so it goes..............

Thanks for the prayers, Marie!
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales