Two little lambs are blessed with a very special job.

Sometimes we need to talk about issues that concern us or have affected us personally. In this forum, you are welcomed to respectfully vent your concerns about today's Church issues or other issues of importance. News stories are welcomed here as well.

Moderators: johnmc, Johnna, MarieT, Denise

Denise
Site Admin

Two little lambs are blessed with a very special job.

Post by Denise » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:59 pm

"Rome had a little lamb..." Well, two, actually...

Every January 21st, two little lambs are blessed with a very special job.

St. Agnes—whose name means “lamb”—is nearly always depicted with a lamb in her arms as a symbol of her innocence. She was a virgin-martyr who was only about thirteen years old when she laid down her life for her faith and her purity in the 4th century.

Each year, the Basilica of St. Agnes-Outside-the-Walls welcomes two honored (and adorable) guests on the feast day of their patroness.

Two lambs, donated by the Trappist monastery of Tre Fontane elsewhere in Rome, are brought to the Basilica. They are carried in two baskets: one decorated with red flowers, symbolizing Agnes’ martyrdom, and the other with white flowers, symbolizing her purity.

These lambs are blessed, then sent to the Holy Father at the Vatican. He also blesses them, then entrusts them to the Benedictine Sisters at the Basilica of St. Cecilia in Trastevere. The Sisters care for them until just before Easter, when they are shorn of their wool.
The wool is then used to make the pallia. A pallium is the insignia of a metropolitan archbishop—that is, an archbishop with authority over his own diocese as well as others under its umbrella. The pallium is a circle of white wool that goes loosely around the neck, with a length hanging down in the front and the back. Six black crosses and three spinulae—pins—adorn it.

The wool represents the archbishop’s role as shepherd and his call to imitate the Good Shepherd, Christ Himself, Who carries the lost sheep on His shoulders. The crosses remind him of the weight of his responsibility and the weight of the Cross that Christ bore. The three spinulae represent the nails that pierced the hands and feet of Our Lord. The pallium also represents the unity of the archbishops with the Holy Father.

After the pallia are made, they are kept in a silver box under the high altar of St. Peter’s Basilica, near St. Peter’s tomb. On the feast of Sts. Peter and Paul on June 29th, the pope blesses the pallia and gives them to all the new metropolitan archbishops.

https://www.catholiccompany.com
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

MarieT
Site Admin

Re: Two little lambs are blessed with a very special job.

Post by MarieT » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:08 pm

i recall many years ago when Pope Benedict was elected or around that time,
i wrote to the Srs to ask if i could purchase some of the special wool to knit Pope Benedict something
I didnt hear back lol :D
unfortunately :cry:
"He who followeth Me, walketh not in darkness." sayeth the Lord

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:04 pm

😞 Well, I am sure he knows now his little prayer warrior tried. 😊
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

MarieT
Site Admin

Post by MarieT » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:22 pm

:D indeed i did
"He who followeth Me, walketh not in darkness." sayeth the Lord