The Silent (and most frequent) Abortion

This forum is a place to discuss issues regarding NFP (Natural Family Planning) and related subjects. It is a place not only to talk about the mechanics of NFP, but also about the moral and physical dangers of contraception as well as the joys and blessings of children and families. As in the other forums, the teachings of the Catholic Church are to be respected. Keep conversation adult and polite.

Moderators: johnmc, Johnna, MarieT

Johnna

The Silent (and most frequent) Abortion

Post by Johnna » Sat May 07, 2005 11:27 am

Things not widely known about the pill.

There are two basic types of birth control pills. One is a combination of estrogen and progestin. The other is progestin only (the "mini-pill").

How it works:
There are three ways the birth control pill works to prevent a child from being brought into this world.

1) The first action of the pill is to prevent ovulation or the release of an egg. However, ovulation is not always suppressed. Breakthrough ovulation occurs even in women who never miss a pill, and estimations of breakthrough ovulation range from 2% - 10%. The mini-pill is a progestin-only pill that allows ovulation to take place 40 to 60% of the time.

2) The second way is performed by the progestin which thickens the cervical mucus in order to restrict the sperm from entering the fallopian tubes.

3)If the first two actions fail and conception has accrued. The third action is the ABORTIFACIENT function of the pill or in layman terms a CHEMICAL ABORTION. The pill does this function by the progestin irritating the lining of the uterus preventing implantation of the newly conceived baby on to the uterus. Thus the birth control pill produces a silent abortion. The woman will never know when a chemical abortion has taken place. She could be at home or even at church when this silent killer takes the life of her innocent baby. :evil:

*Note* The "morning-after pill" is an increased dose of the pill (estrogen and progestin) to be taken up to 72 hours after sex in order to end any possible pregnancy. It works as an abortifacient.

Side effects and risk factors:
Weakened immune system, pelvic inflammatory disease, permanent sterility, prolonged infertility, cervical cancer, tubal pregnancy, shrinking of the womb, mood swings and depression, breast cancer, high blood pressure, blood clots, birth defects in children, tender breasts, stroke, weight gain, migraines reduced sex drive, liver tumors.

Now there is also a third sort of pill on the market. It does everything the first pill does but it is to be taken more often in order to cause the woman to have only four periods a year. ( :twisted: As if being a woman is so auful, one would want to be reminded of it as little as possible...) It advertises that this is safe, although I would bet anything that these claims are not well tested at all. The side effects mentioned above assume that there are approx 13 weeks out of the year the woman is not ingesting hormones. With this new pill there are only four weeks out of the year the woman is not taking hormones. One can safely reason that this wouldn't cause the side-effects to decrease. :?
Domine Non Sum Dignus!

Holiness is not for wimps and the cross is not negotiable, sweetheart, it's a requirement.
~ Mother Angelica

Johnna

Post by Johnna » Sat May 07, 2005 11:30 am

The above information is vitally important. Please help to make it more widely known. The majority of abortions in America occur this way and the actual number of them may never truly be known!

There are poor girls who have never been taught that contraception is wrong, but are against abortion. They do not know the Truth about these contraceptives, thinking that they prevent ovulation only! These poor lost souls are killing their babies without even knowing it and would feel crushed and betrayed if they knew!! In the darker days of my life, I became one of these girls and all I can say is thank God I didn't find out the truth until AFTER I became Catholic and had recourse to the confessional or I would have been tempted to despair. My past, is full of many sins, but killing my own child was not a sin that I chose willingly or even knowingly.

Almighty Father, have mercy on us for the lies society tells and the way we believe them out of convenience. Make us strong enough to see the Truth and even strong enough stand up to defend it, and to continue in Truth's defense until there is no longer a need to pray "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." Amen.
Domine Non Sum Dignus!

Holiness is not for wimps and the cross is not negotiable, sweetheart, it's a requirement.
~ Mother Angelica

ElizabethS

Post by ElizabethS » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:01 am

This reminds me of the story of the fall of Adam and Eve that my children and I were studying recently from the St Joseph Catechism. They pointed out that the devil didn't lie when he tempted Eve. After eating from the tree of knowledge, our parents did know good and evil like God but they were not like God and that knowledge caused sin and death to be loosed in our world. I think that evil stan tricks us with half truths more often than than with outright lies even to this day. :cry:

We must learn to trust only God and His Church and try to always look at things through His eyes and not our own. Jesus I trust in You.

ElizabethS

Lori

Post by Lori » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:26 pm

Elizabeth,

I am not sure which edition of the Saint Joseph Catechism you are quoting. Please let me know which edition, when it was printed or reprinted, and which page so that I can send corrections if necessary to the editor.

The Church teaches that the Devil did indeed "lie" to our first parents Adam and Eve. The serpent told them that they would be like God and know good and evil and that they would not die. That was a big fat lie. Neither Adam nor Eve ever became like God or understood/knew good and evil as only God can and both Adam and Eve did die.

Pax Christi,

Lori

Denise
Site Admin

Post by Denise » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:49 pm

Here is what the CCC teaches, which contradics the St. Joseph Catechism.

392 Scripture speaks of a sin of these angels.269 This "fall" consists in the free choice of these created spirits, who radically and irrevocably rejected God and his reign. We find a reflection of that rebellion in the tempter's words to our first parents: "You will be like God."270 The devil "has sinned from the beginning"; he is "a liar and the father of lies".271

III. ORIGINAL SIN

Freedom put to the test

396 God created man in his image and established him in his friendship. A spiritual creature, man can live this friendship only in free submission to God. The prohibition against eating "of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil" spells this out: "for in the day that you eat of it, you shall die."276 The "tree of the knowledge of good and evil"277 symbolically evokes the insurmountable limits that man, being a creature, must freely recognize and respect with trust. Man is dependent on his Creator, and subject to the laws of creation and to the moral norms that govern the use of freedom.

Man's first sin

397 Man, tempted by the devil, let his trust in his Creator die in his heart and, abusing his freedom, disobeyed God's command. This is what man's first sin consisted of.278 All subsequent sin would be disobedience toward God and lack of trust in his goodness.

398 In that sin man preferred himself to God and by that very act scorned him. He chose himself over and against God, against the requirements of his creaturely status and therefore against his own good. Constituted in a state of holiness, man was destined to be fully "divinized" by God in glory. Seduced by the devil, he wanted to "be like God", but "without God, before God, and not in accordance with God".279

399 Scripture portrays the tragic consequences of this first disobedience. Adam and Eve immediately lose the grace of original holiness.280 They become afraid of the God of whom they have conceived a distorted image - that of a God jealous of his prerogatives.281

400 The harmony in which they had found themselves, thanks to original justice, is now destroyed: the control of the soul's spiritual faculties over the body is shattered; the union of man and woman becomes subject to tensions, their relations henceforth marked by lust and domination.282 Harmony with creation is broken: visible creation has become alien and hostile to man.283 Because of man, creation is now subject "to its bondage to decay".284 Finally, the consequence explicitly foretold for this disobedience will come true: man will "return to the ground",285 for out of it he was taken. Death makes its entrance into human history.286

ElizabethS

Post by ElizabethS » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:48 am

I did not mean to say the devil is not the father of all lies but that we cannot expect all our temptations to be clear cut. I guess I meant that sometimes the devil's reasoning makes sense to us because our thoughts are not always God's thoughts. I think this is how artificial contraception made such headway in our society in such a short amount of time. The people pushing it made it sound like having lots of children was too time consuming, too expensive, too tiring, etc and how it would free woman to be better wives, mothers, etc because they wouldn't be so burdened. And in a way that makes sense. But no one (or very few) mentioned that God would provide whatever was needed and there are so many blessings that come with large families. I bought it for a long time. When I was pregnant with my fourth through seventh child, I struggled because I felt like I was overworked and burdened. Not that I didn't love my children but I don't think I appreciated them or looked at them like a gift from God. I must say that with number eight it has been different and not because I have any less work but because I see it all in a whole different light. I am glad that God did not give up on me just because I am a slow learner. :D

And thanks for the corrections. I see how easy it is to read something and mull it over and all of a sudden when you try to restate it, it comes out with a different meaning.