Pontificate of Benedict XVI has come to an end.

Pope Benedict XVI

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT, Denise

Denise
Site Admin

Pontificate of Benedict XVI has come to an end.

Post by Denise » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:34 pm

Pope Benedict’s resignation is official

CWN - February 28, 2013

The pontificate of Benedict XVI has come to an end.

At 8 pm Rome time, the Pope’s resignation officially took effect and the Holy See became vacant.
The Pope left Rome at 5 pm, having taking his final leave of Vatican officials. As his helicopter lifted off, all the bells of the Vatican sounded. Bells pealed once again when he arrived at the papal summer residence in Castel Gandolfo, where he was greeted by Church leaders and civic officials.
Appearing at the balcony of the apostolic palace soon after his arrival, the Pope thanked the faithful for their expressions of support. “I am simply a pilgrim beginning the last leg of his pilgrimage on earth,” he said. But he promised that continue to serve the Church “with my heart, with my love, with my prayers, with my reflection, and with all my inner strength.”

At exactly 8 pm, the doors of the apostolic palace were closed, and the Swiss Guard detail left their post, since the Swiss Guard are responsible only for the personal safety of the reigning Pontiff. (The Vatican gendarmerie will continue to provide security for the former Pope.)

The papal apartments at the Vatican have been sealed off, and the Fisherman’s Ring worn by Benedict XVI has been destroyed. The sede vacante period has begun for the Catholic Church.

All the top officials of the Roman Curia will now submit their resignations, since they serve at the pleasure of the Pontiff. The new Pope will have the authority to renew their appointments, at his discretion. Until the new Pontiff is elected, the Roman Curia will make no policy decisions, and the day-to-day administration of the Church will be handled collectively by the College of Cardinals.

Cardinal Angelo Sodano, the dean of the College of Cardinals, has the formal duty of summoning all cardinals to Rome—although in fact most cardinals have already arrived—and scheduling the first of a series of “congregations” at which the cardinals will decide, among other things, when the conclave will meet to elect the next Pope.
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

MarieT
Site Admin

Post by MarieT » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:06 am

sis yer comforting words that the pope (emeritus) is still alive and we will see a new pope as well.....were very comforting....blessed to have 2 alive

but now seeing this departure has quite sadenned me again....

the joy of the new pontiff will be a relief to many, but one can never forget papa benedetto xvi emeritus

hope he's settling in ok
ahh the peace and solitude, and being able to delve into all the spiritual works one yearns for, without having distractions

this is what part of him must be feeling...but the major change....would also be heavily felt
God continue to bless him abundantly
"He who followeth Me, walketh not in darkness." sayeth the Lord

MarieT
Site Admin

Post by MarieT » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:26 am

"He who followeth Me, walketh not in darkness." sayeth the Lord

Johnna

Re: Pontificate of Benedict XVI has come to an end.

Post by Johnna » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:05 am

I miss him. It almost feels like we don't have a pope, even though I know that's not true.
Domine Non Sum Dignus!

Holiness is not for wimps and the cross is not negotiable, sweetheart, it's a requirement.
~ Mother Angelica

Denise
Site Admin

Re: Pontificate of Benedict XVI has come to an end.

Post by Denise » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:00 am

Hi JB, miss you!

I understand exactly how you feel! 😪
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales