Pope Benedict XVI

Moderators: Johnna, MarieT, Denise

Denise
Site Admin

A Faithful Pope of the Enlightenment

Post by Denise » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:11 pm

Neither wit nor power could spoil Benedict XIV

https://www.crisismagazine.com/2018/pop ... ightenment
Devotion to the souls in Purgatory contains in itself all the works of mercy, which supernaturalized by a spirit of faith, should merit us Heaven. de Sales

KarlB
Saint Finder

Post by KarlB » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:22 pm

Certainly a brilliant intellectual at the dawn of the Enlightenment (1750 - present).. which came to mean different things to different people. It was a time of revolutionary social and political change which held great promise and great challenges. Certainly the modern world to which it has devolved indicates Christendom might be ripe for a new Epoch.

Over the last 1500 years, since the birth of the 'West' with the collapse of the Western Roman Empire (which marked the end of Greco Roman Civilization), they have appeared somewhat predictably every 250 years as the old order became corrupt and exhausted. And the Church has led the way. JP2 and B16 set the framework of revitalized world, but we need a solid practitioner to implement and integrate it.

It'll come i think. Perhaps in the guise of a Vatican 3 which will flesh out in concrete and practical terms the grand idealism of V1 and V2 with complete sciptural and dogmatic consistency.. while discarding some of sentimental and eccentric innovations that have obscured their clarity.
pax lux,
karl

Remember that thou hast made me of clay; and wilt thou turn me to dust again? Job10:9